- Download Media Center
- Windows 8 Preview
- No DVD Player; download VLC Player: http://www.videolan.org/
- If installed as a partition on a Windows 7 PC, the D: drive contains the files of the Windows 7 partition.
- A Guide to Getting Around the Windows 8 Beta With a Mouse, Ian Paul, PCWorld: http://bit.ly/RvR7qL.
- Store: Settings or Search: Bring the mouse to the right upper or right lower corner so the Charms bar appears.
- Store: I had only few Apps in the Windows Store. To see more Apps, while being in the Store, click on Settings / Preferences / Make it easier to find apps in my preferred languages - NO. See the post from @CrumbleShake: http://bit.ly/MEAQPF
- Developing Apps: See the Dev Center - Metro style apps: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/
- Delete Print Jobs: Run as Administrator in the command prompt
net stop spooler del %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\*.shd del %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\*.spl net start spooler
- Skype App (November 2012): I cannot logout. ???. Killed. Windows 7 Skype still works under Windows 8. TODO: Look for a replacement for Skype.
- Connect to Windows Home Server: Since user was changed, I had read access (network) but no write access anymore. Solution: From Guy Hale, found in Microsoft's technet, http://bit.ly/SR0dQu: ..."Add your server credentials to your account. This can be done under Control Panel -> Credential Manager -> Windows Credentials -> Add a Windows Credential. Type in the name of your server, username & password, and boom. Instant access"...
- Update takes many hours, Message "Keep your PC plugged in until this is done. Installing update ..." is displayed. Solution: Unknown to me. Just wait.